Posts Tagged showrss

Sickbeard Fork: Feature Summary

Note: Since this post was written, TvTumbler was born. Going forward, all new development will be in TvTumbler.


Well I’ve been working on and off on Sickbeard for the last few weeks, and the list of additions is starting to grow. So it’s probably time for a summary of the main additions.

Sickbeard Integrated Torrent ClientIntegrated Torrent Client

Uses libtorrent-rasterbar to provide a very simple (but very fast!) integrated torrent client. Manages queueing, priority, seeding, and deleting of torrent automatically. No need to use blackhole or watch dirs (but of course you can use those if you wish). If libtorrent rasterbar is not available on your system, this feature simply won’t show. You can continue to use your existing torrent client without issue.

Custom RSS Torrent feedCustom Torrent RSS Providers

Add one or more custom torrent providers. Any torrent source with an RSS feed should work for this.
See this post for more info (including some recommended feeds).

 

New Torrent Search Providers

I’ve added all the useful/reliable torrent providers I know as search options (at least the ones that you don’t need invites/accounts for). These are:

  • ShowRSS: This appears to be very reliable, but their show naming is not always smart, and their backlog can be limited.
  • Kickass Torrents: Includes solid backlog support.
  • DailyTvTorrents: Again, appears reliable, and includes solid backlog support (thanks to lylej for the heads-up on this one).(sadly, this is now gone)
  • BBC iPlayer support (via the perl get_iplayer script): See here for instructions on how to set this up.
  • Support for magnet links.
  • PublicHD support: No backlog yet, their RSS is *extremely* limited.
  • And additionally, EZRSS has been “fixed” so that it will continue to work (by using the twitter feed, tpb feed, and a feedburner feed as backups) even when the site goes down (which happens a lot!)

 

Custom Scene Names

The edit show page now includes a box into which you can type ‘custom’ show names (or ‘Scene Names’). These will be searched for in addition to the tvdb show name. This is incredibly useful for picking up on minor variations in show names.

 

Custom Scene Numbering

Anyone who has used sickbeard for any length will know how annoying this is: The scene decides that the first episode was a double, but tvdb (from which sickbeard gets its numbering) thinks otherwise. Or they include a special in the numbering. Or they disagree on season numbers. Or they call the “special” episode “SxE00″, where tvdb calls it “S00E56″.

Well this gives you the facility to work around this problem, without having to manually “fix” everything sickbeard downloads (or tolerate the duplicates it creates). You can now manually enter a season/episode number for each episode, and this is what sickbeard will search for when trawling the internet. And it will renumber it correctly once it’s downloaded to your PVR.

The code will also regularly check thexem.de for the known variations between scene and tvdb numbering – so in most cases you probably won’t even need to correct the episode numbers, sickbeard will do so itself (but of course it will respect your numbering if you have specified it manually).

 


Installation Instructions

These now have a wiki page of their own. See How to Install Sickbeard for Torrents on github.


And I do believe that this time, I’m really finished. These are the main things that have annoyed me about sickbeard since I’ve started using it, and it took far more work than it should have to actually fix them (all-in, I’ve probably spent a full day on this). If I feel tempted to add features to this in the future, I think I’ll start by doing a re-write: it will save time in the long run (and imo sickbeard is badly in need of a rewrite).

As always, the full source is available from https://github.com/bricky/Sick-Beard.

 


Update/Please Note: I don’t intend to add any more features to this – so please stop asking for them! Sickbeard is, as far as I’m concerned, broken – and I don’t have the time to fix it, or write a replacement.
I will generally keep this up to date however, until I find a better system (or actually do the rewrite).

(if someone else wishes to start a rewrite however, please let me know – I may be able to contribute)


Update (Sept 2013): I’m doing the rewrite: TvTumbler, an addon for XBMC with the same basic functionality. I’d encourage any new users (who also use XMBC) to try TvTumbler instead.


Having Issues?: Please use the github issue tracker (and include a debug log, or your issue will likely be ignored)

, , , , , , ,

147 Comments

Sickbeard support for ShowRSS & Kickass Torrents


This fork has moved on a bit since this was posted. See here for details.

Sickbeard is a simply wonderful piece of software, but its only real torrent support is for ezrss, which is often (and currently) broken. There’s no real technical reason to restrict it to just this feed (at least none that I could see), so I’ve forked it and added support for another feed called showRSS.

https://github.com/bricky/Sick-Beard

That is all.

Update: Now also includes the ability to add your own scene exceptions through the web UI, and uses twitter rss as a backup for ezrss when it fails.

Update 2: Now also includes support for kat.ph (aka Kickass Torrents), which provides a much wider range of shows (and also, apparently, backlog support).

, , ,

12 Comments

css.php